CREATE A POP-UP RAINBOW CARD FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
This activity uses all the words associated with STEM. Children will arrange the colors of the rainbow in order (science), create a cover for the card on a computer (technology), design a pop-up rainbow (engineering), measure the rainbow to fit in the card (math). Then they can give the card to make someone’s day a happy one and watch smiles magically appear! Read Where’s Green? as an introduction to this activity, available at Entelechy Education.
Criteria - card must:
· Share a positive message
· Display large printed letters
· Show a pop-up rainbow when opened
· Use all rainbow colors in proper order
Crayons or markers
Double-stick cellophane tape
- Fold a piece of construction paper in half to form the base of the card.
- Measure the available space for mounting a folding rainbow.
- Cut a rainbow shape to fit that area.
- Research the proper order of rainbow colors then neatly color the rainbow.
- Mount the rainbow inside the card so that it fits when folded and pops up when the card is opened. For help with this step go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RLn4rJk86s
- In large letters, write a message on the inside of the card. Sign only your first name at the bottom of the card.
- On a computer, design the cover. Use pictures, words, designs, or anything you want that will send a happy message. Make sure it fits the folded piece of construction paper. Glue the paper to the cover.
- Give your card and watch the smile magically appear!
Note to teachers, parents, and group leaders: This is a wonderful activity to accompany a trip to a nursing home. Bring a copy of the book, read it to the children and the senior citizens. Then have the young people give a souvenir pop-up card to the residents of the nursing home. Make sure you have enough cards to give to everyone by getting an estimate of attendance from the nursing home staff.